May is the perfect time of year for the whole family to get out for a bike ride! At Graves McLain, we hope that you and your family join us in celebrating National Bike Month.
Since 1956, the League of American Bicyclists has organized National Bike Month as a way to raise awareness about the benefits of riding a bike, as well as proper bicycle safety.
Whether you ride a bike to commute to work or school, to get some exercise, or simply to enjoy Oklahoma’s beautiful summer scenery, cycling is a fun and environmentally friendly way to get out and enjoy life in Tulsa and the surrounding areas.
Unfortunately, cyclists face a much higher risk of being seriously injured in traffic accidents compared to drivers and occupants in passenger vehicles. Here are some additional statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Institute (NHTSA) that show how dangerous Bicycle Accidents are nationwide:
- In 2013, an estimated 48,000 cyclists were injured in crashes with motor vehicles.
- 743 cyclists were fatally injured in traffic accidents in 2013.
- Bicycle accident fatalities have increased 19% since 2010.
At Graves McLain, Tulsa, Oklahoma Personal Injury law firm, we care deeply about the safety of you, your family, and every member of our community. We want to do our part to raise awareness about proper bicycle safety during National Bike Month.
Here are some tips to keep in mind before you go for your next ride:
- Always Wear a Helmet: Wearing a helmet is the single most effective way to prevent head and brain injuries in the event of a crash. When selecting a helmet, make sure you choose one that is comfortable and fits securely.
- Follow the Rules of the Road: To minimize your risk of being hurt in a traffic accident involving a motor vehicle, pay attention to all posted signs and ride in the same direction as traffic. Do not ignore stop signs or red lights, as this can increase your risk of being struck by a car.
- Be Clearly Visible: Make sure that your bicycle is equipped with front and back reflectors, bike lights or reflective tape. If you are riding at night, avoid dark clothing and instead wear bright, reflective colors. Far too many bike accidents occur because drivers simply did not see a cyclist until it was too late.
Drivers of motor vehicles have a responsibility to safely share the road with bicyclists. If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a Bicycle Accident that was caused by a negligent, distracted or drunk driver, call Graves McLain at 918-359-6600.
When you call, you will speak with one of our experienced Tulsa Bicycle Accident attorneys absolutely FREE. We will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you, and fight hard to secure the maximum compensation for your injuries and damaged property.
At Graves McLain, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front. We take all cases on a contingency-fee basis, which means that we don’t get paid until you do.
Graves McLain – Serious Lawyers for Serious Injuries