Attorney Chad McLain of Graves McLain visited KTUL’s Good Day Tulsa on May 23rd to discuss May as Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. He addressed both state and national accident figures, and offered advice to keep riders safe. Watch the segment:
According to 2016 statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists died in crashes nearly 28 times more often than occupants of passenger cars. 5,286 riders were killed that year, which is a 5% increase over 2015. Of those, 27% did not possess valid motorcycle licenses. In Oklahoma, statistics from the same year tell us 88 motorcyclists died in fatal crashes—and 67% were not wearing a helmet. Other figures indicate:
- 26% of motorcyclists killed or seriously injured were driving at an unsafe speed
- 6% of motorcyclists killed or seriously injured performed an improper movement
- 5% of fatal or serious injuries were related to Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- 4% of those killed or seriously injured were following another vehicle too closely
Staying Safe on the Road
In order for motorcyclists to avoid accidents and prevent injury, the attorneys at Graves McLain offer helpful safety advice for every rider:
- Riders without helmets are five times more likely to sustain severe head injuries.
- Protective gear and clothing can minimize injuries during an accident.
- The faster you move, the longer it takes to stop or react in an emergency.
- Always ride with your headlights on and be sure to always use your turn signals.
- Avoid other drivers’ blind spots and consider putting reflective tape on gear.
- Wet weather or slippery road surfaces greatly increases the risk of an accident.
We Can Help
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a motorcycle, call Graves McLain right away at 918-359-6600. When you call one of our experienced Tulsa, Oklahoma Motorcycle Accident Injury Attorneys, we will speak with you for FREE and determine the best course of action.
We review every detail of your situation at no cost to you—and fight hard to protect your rights. Trust our team, we are here to help. At Graves McLain, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front—and you owe us nothing until we win your case. At Graves McLain, we don’t get paid until you do.
Graves McLain, Serious Lawyers for Serious Injuries