With the school year about to start in Tulsa, many families are preparing for a new and exciting school year ahead. There are several ways our kids get to school, and safety is always our top concern. Whether taking the bus, walking to school, or riding a bike, child pedestrian accidents happen more than you know.
Attorney Rachel Gusman from Graves McLain was on ABC’s Good Day Tulsa where she shared important safety tips to remember for all children going back to school. With a rise in pedestrian accidents each year as school begins, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and be safe. As parents and grandparents, it is important to discuss with our children how to be more safe when going to school.
Rachel explains that teenagers are more at risk for these types of accidents due to cell phone use. A motto like “heads up phone down” is a great way to remind children to pay attention at all times. Tell your children to:
- Stand on the sidewalk, away from the street or driveway, if you are going to talk or text on a mobile device.
- Stand back when the school bus is approaching, do not stand directly on the curb.
- Wait for the bus doors to open, and wait until the school bus comes to a complete stop before getting in.
- Don’t wear your headphones or ear buds if you are walking or riding a bike.
- Don’t speed or drive erratically. Allow yourself some extra time before going to school as well as picking children up.
- Be aware of crossing guards and always cross the street at the designated cross points.
- Do not jay walk, and follow all crossing signs.
- If you are walking to school, always try to use the buddy system and walk with others. Safety in numbers is good.
- Never speak to strangers on your way to school. A stranger is someone you do not know. And there are no exceptions to this.
Graves McLain is having their 2nd annual backpack drive and is asking for your help. We are still accepting donations for the 2017 backpack drive. We will be donating over 1,000 brand new backpacks to three North Tulsa elementary schools this year. You can drop off your new backpack donations to the Graves McLain offices any time between 9am – 5pm. We would like to send a “Thank You” to all of the people who have made donations so far.
Watch the full segment here.
If you or a loved one are injured in any type of accident that not your fault, Graves McLain is here to help. Call us today at 918-359-6600 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call, you will speak with an experienced Tulsa, Oklahoma Personal Injury attorney for free.
At Graves McLain, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front, and we don’t get paid until you do.
Graves McLain – Serious Lawyers for Serious Injuries